Date:      Thu, 28 Oct 1999 11:17:18 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us (Chris Dillon)
Cc:        jean-philipe.boisseau@sextant.thomson-csf.com (BOISSEAU Jean-Philippe), freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, nsouch@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tekram DC 395

Chris Dillon wrote...
> On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
>
> > Tekram is to be commended for putting forth the effort to support FreeBSD.
> > They have actually written three different FreeBSD/CAM drivers -- one for
> > their AMD 53c974 boards (the amd driver in the tree is based on that
> > driver), one for their NCR/Symbios boards, and now one for their own SCSI
> > chips.
>
> I've always been happy with my Tekram DC-390F, which is based on the
> NCR/Symbios 53c875.  I've also got a bunch of Compaq servers with
> integrated 53c875's which work flawlessly with FreeBSD as well.  How
> do these new chips apparently made by Tekram compare to the Symbios
> and even Adaptec chips as far as performance and reliability go?  If
> they're at least as good, or better, I'll probably invest in another
> Tekram card when I decide to get some U2 devices.

Well, I have no idea how the chips or driver perform.  One thing to keep in
mind, though, is that either the chip doesn't have a SCSI phase engine, or
the driver isn't written to take advantage of it.  It does all of its own
phase transitions, like the AMD 53c974 and Adaptec 6360 drivers.  (They
have to.)

In any case, their TRM-S1040 chip only does ultra-wide, not Ultra 2.  So if
you want to do Ultra 2 with a Tekram board, you'll need to get the
DC-390U2, and I would recommend using Gerard's sym driver instead of the
stock NCR driver.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry