Date:      Fri, 4 Aug 2000 10:46:07 +1000
From:      Benno Rice <benno@netizen.com.au>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Irda support

On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 09:35:37AM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <20000803231034.K3777@netizen.com.au> Benno Rice writes:
> : Well it's on mine, but I'm a way off yet.  I hope to make some significant
> : progress this weekend, which may or may not result in a vaguely functional
> : IrLAP netgraph node.  Then I need to write an IrLMP node, a TinyTP node and
> : an IrCOMM node.  Then you'll be able to HotSync, assuming your laptop's IR
> : port shows up as a serial device. =)
>
> Personally, I'd love to be able to use the IRda port since it is
> faster than the serial port on my WinCE machines.  However, I have
> less than zero time for this.  Buying an ethernet card fixed this
> problem (which really was a problem on how to get netbsd boot images
> to the wince machine, but I digress).

Heh. =)

> Even if we have irda support in the kernel, hotsync takes an
> additional protocol layer, kinda like FTP but not really.  It is the
> same as having IP but no ftpd I guess is what I'm trying to say.
> Microsoft doesn't document the hotsync protocol at all :-(.

/usr/ports/palm has a lot of stuff that implements the HotSync protocol.
My intention was for IrCOMM connections to show up as a tty-like device,
which means that you just point one of those at /dev/ttyi0 or somesuch. =)

--
Benno Rice                                      "No, no. We're *sweet* and
XNFP Aries Dark Subculture-                      *innocent* evil bastards."