Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 2014 08:44:34 -0700
From:      "Peter" <fbsdq@peterk.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 10.0-RC5 - Installer creates multiple freebsd-boot partitions

:#gpart show ada0
=> 34 3907029101 ada0 GPT (1.8T)
34 128 1 freebsd-boot (64K)
162 8388608 2 freebsd-ufs (4.0G)
8388770 20971520 3 freebsd-swap (10G)
29360290 3877668844 4 freebsd-ufs (1.8T)
3907029134 1 - free - (512B)

ada0p2 had FreeBSD 9 amd64 on it, installing FreeBSD 10 RC5 amd64 to ada0p2
ada0p4 is my 'data' partition left untouched.

During install if I delete my OS partition [ada0p2], then create
partition, the installer complains that I'm missing freebsd-boot even
though ada0p1 is never touched - I have two options, let it create or
"ignore";

If I say create, then I have two 'freebsd-boot' partitions
If I say ignore [virtualbox fresh 10-RC4 -> 10-RC5] it still boots properly.

I had to delete both ada0p1 and ada0p2, and then the installer correctly
created freebsd-boot on ada0p1 and freebsd-ufs on ada0p2.

Any way to get the installer to detect an already existing freebsd-boot
partition to use? This threw me off for a second only, but I can see where
many will say 'create' and will have a new freebsd-boot partition created
on each reinstall.