Date:      Tue, 6 Sep 2005 16:43:30 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Norberto Meijome" <numard@meijome.net>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: [OT] Life expectancy of powered down hard drives....

They can fail if they are left running 24x7 for months or years at a
time then shut down for 24 hours or so.

Never heard of the 'drive will fail if not powered up every so often"
line, though.

> It was also mentioned a
>"knock on the centre of the drive" to bring it back to life (??).

That used to be the case with some old disks.  Once brought back
to life this way you had enough time to get the data off the disk
before it crashed for good.

40 Megabyte Seagate MFM ST251's were famous for this.

>How much truth is in this? I have EIDE drives that I havent used in
>years and I just tested them and they work fine...but again,
>I've had an
>instance of a new drive, used twice to backup some info and then left
>untouched for 10 months, and it wouldn't even spin up...

So have I.  I've also had brand new drives out of the box that wouldn't
even spin up.

>Does this affect SCSI drives? I suppose it would be more likely to
>affect desktop-quality IDE / SATA drives...

It affects all drives.

Ted