Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 1997 01:26:06 -0500
From:      Bryan Batten <BryanBatten@compuserve.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Questions for FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Detecting 3rd IDE Drive

Hi Doug, you seem to by my personal mentor vis. FreeBSD here. Thanks for
responding to my question. Anyway -

On  Mon, 8 Dec 1997 Doug White wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Dec 1997, Bryan Batten wrote:

>> I recently bought a 2.1GB EIDE drive, which is too big for my BIOS to
>> autodetect. Now, it works just fine with Linux, but is totally
>> invisible to the FreeBSD 2.2.2 Installation Procedure.
>
>> I would think that there would be enough intelligence in the
>
> It should.  Hit <scroll lock> at the main menu and scroll back
> through the boot messages. Make sure the second controller and the
> disk are found.

Now, I should be clear. I can boot FreeBSD. When I do, here are the
results:

        wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq14 is isa
        wdc1 not found at 0x170

Linux sees both controllers without problems. So I know the hardware is OK
- with the exception that my BIOS can't autodetect the third EIDE drive
which I have installed on wdc1. The drives I have on wdc0 are both 1G. The
drive on wdc1 is a 2.1G drive.

I suspect I need yet a later version of FreeBSD than 2.2.2. True?

Thanks again for your response.