Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 1996 05:48:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Newell <mnewell@newell.arlington.va.us>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        Neil Bradley <neil@synthcom.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP -direct indefinitely

On Thu, 29 Aug 1996, Doug White wrote:

> Well, I can think of two things:
>
> 1)  They need to telnet into PPP (I think on port 3001, the admin port)
> and run 'quit all' to kill it properly.
>
> 2)  The csh is sticking around because PPP isn't quitting and thus
> allowing the system to reap the process.

A couple of extra things to check:

  - does rc.serial specifiy the line properly as a modem line?

  - is the modem set to reset when DTR is dropped?  [Mine has a factory
    default that _ignores_ DTR transitions.  :-(]

  - is the modem set to drop CD when carrier is lost?  [Again, on mine
    I seem to recall that this was not the case; CD was always on! :-(!!]

  - does your modem cable support full modem handshake?  [Some (cheap?)
    cables don't provide all the lines; you need RX, TX, RTS, CTS, DSR,
    GND, CD, and DTR in most cases...]

I use pppd instead of ppp 'cause I can't get ppp to stay running more
than a few minutes during heavy loads; it just keeps disconnecting.  :-(
Way uncool too, since ppp supports predictor-1 compression and pppd does
not :-( :-(.

Much obliged,

Mike

| Mike Newell                          | The opinions expressed herein      |
| Affiliation:                         | are mine.  You can take them or    |
| Address:                             | leave them.  Flames to /dev/null.  |
| Mike@Newell.arlington.va.us          | http://www.newell.arlington.va.us  |
| "Peace.  It's wonderful!"  Father Divine.                                 |