Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 2004 11:32:53 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
To:        Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/www is too full

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Robert Huff wrote:

> > Portmgr has been, for quite some time now, looking into adding an
> > extra tier to the ports tree.
>
> Other than a) tradition and b) potential large amount of work
> getting all the location pointers retargeted ... what's stopping
> them?

It's not location pointers, it's reworking the Makefile code.  The
assumption that there are only 2 levels is also hardwired into other
code, certainly portsmon and possibly the pointyhat build infrastructure.

There is also the school of thought that we ought to identify what
problem we are trying to solve, and if it's merely a 'search/browse'
type of problem, then we should fix our search/browse interfaces and
leave the directory layout alone.

Unfortunately, this school of thought seems to have only one adherent,
which is myself :-)

mcl