Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 1996 21:02:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.ORG
Cc:        questions@freebsd.ORG
Subject:    questions@freebsd.ORG

  Update on upgrading to the X 3.1.2 W32 driver:

  After some hours things began to succeed.   It was, of course,
  a problem with my XF86Config file rather than the driver.  I
  knew this, or assumed this.  My quandary was how-to fix my older
  config file that did run under X3.1.1.  I did this is stages.

  First, after reinstalling the older driver, I plugged in more
  and more data (configuration settings) from my old /etc/XF86Config
  file.  This involved over a dozen tests, reboots, re-resetting,
  retrying.  When I finally had the new /etc/XF86Config file working
  with the older driver I knew that I was 80% of the way done.

  BTW, I used the xf86config binary according to Greg Lehey's
  instructions (INSTALLING FREEBSD) to generate the new template.
  ---Good book, Greg.---

  After the old driver worked with the new config file I pointed
  the new X3.1.2 driver at it.  There were several things to straighten
  out, but things finally  worked.    An additional bonus was that
  `xvidtune' worked with my new setup and I did some very fine tuning
  with that tool.

  Last fall when I originally got X to work, figuring this out took
  days of trial-and-erroring a few hours at a time.   Fine tuning was
  strictly by hand, and once things were acceptable, I left the
  configuration alone.  With this newer version of X, we are all better
  off.

  Two weekends for 2.1.5 compared to 10-12 days for 2.0.5.  ...So hats
  off to the XFree86 team and to the FreeBSD team.

  gary kline