Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 2008 01:46:13 +0100
From:      Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, stevefranks@ieee.org
Subject:   Re: OT: how to get make to run a script before each build

On Wednesday 12 March 2008 01:15:52 Steve Franks wrote:
> I'd like to keep track of how many times I've run make for a given
> source.  I'm sure someone knows how to get make to run a script before
> doing anything else, but using the regular build rules (aka. only if a
> source file has changed).  Of course typing any permutation of this
> question into google gives me 10^life of universe in microseconds
> hits.

mysource.c.o:
	count=`cat /var/db/makecounter.${.IMPSRC}`
	count=$$(($$count+1))
	echo $$count >/var/db/makecounter.${.IMPSRC}
	${CC} ${CFLAGS} -c ${.IMPSRC}

or something to that effect, key being, change/override the compilation rule
for your specific or all files.
Default single/double suffix rules are in /usr/share/mk/sys.mk.
--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.