Date:      Tue, 08 Aug 2000 09:36:05 -0500
From:      Network Administrator <admin@scls.lib.wi.us>
To:        Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>
Cc:        marc.vanwoerkom@science-factory.com (Marc van Woerkom), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mount alien floppy? (Brother) fd0.240?

At 09:23 PM 8/7/00 , Jerry Dunham wrote:
>I may have missed something, but why not stick the floppy in a Brother
>machine (borrowed, if you no longer have one), print it out, and take it
>to your scanner?  You'd have some reformatting to do, and possibly a few
>scanos to correct, but you'd at least have your documents back.

OCR has been considered, but there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of pages
(complete memoirs of an octogenarian plus several full length novels), so
the OCR option is one of many hours of tedious labor. On the upside the
hardcopy is all in a nice crisp mono font, so the OCR error rate should be
low...

But, why deal with that when I can spend the same or (hopefully) many fewer
hours tinkering with a data translation enigma, gaining at least some
additional BSD systems clueage and possibly finding it fun?  =)

Making device nodes isn't exactly exciting yet (and as yet, unprofitable),
but educational for sure. Am wondering now if an examination of the fd*
driver series source code will tell me how to create fd0.240 (or if a
friendly daemon will whisper patches in my ear)... but my C is rusty.

TIA,

Greg Barniskis <admin@scls.lib.wi.us>
Network Administrator
Library Interchange Network (LINK)