Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2001 20:02:01 +0200
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        Stephen McKay <mckay@thehub.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Most BSD-like and games-friendly Linux?

On Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 01:54:47AM +1000, Stephen McKay wrote:
> On Friday, 27th July 2001, "Karel J. Bosschaart" wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 11:28:38PM +1000, Stephen McKay wrote:
> >> What do you do when you want to play action games?  I'm talking heavy
> >> 3D OpenGL graphics, not just xbill. :-)
> >>
> >I have the Linux versions of Unreal Tournament, Quake 3 Arena and
> >Soldier of Fortune, and I play them in FreeBSD. Loki does a good job
> >when it comes to playing in compatibility mode :-). Their demo installer
> >works fine on FreeBSD.
>
> You're talking software only mode, right?  That's not going to do it for me.

I'm mostly playing with Voodoo2, in SLI mode (that's 2 cards working together).
In XFree86-4.0.1 I also had my G400 card working, although I didn't manage
to play Unreal Tournament with it. Quake 3 was fine though. I will give it
another try soon using the bsd cvs branch of DRI.

Some time ago I started to put my gaming experiences in FreeBSD on the
web http://wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl/freebsd/index.html, but I didn't have time
to finish or maintain it :-(. Well, maybe later...

Karel.