Date:      Tue, 7 May 2002 23:15:17 +0000
From:      Baldur Gislason <baldur@foo.is>
To:        Tom Limoncelli <tal@lumeta.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipf vs. ipfw

ipfw is in no way related to the linux firewalls (ipfwadm, ipchains or
iptables). It is a specially designed firewall for FreeBSD. It isn't
dependent on ipf, it has it's own in-kernel mechanism. It has a totally
different syntax. Why FreeBSD has both I can't answer, ipfw and ipf each have
their own advantages over each other. In my experience, ipfw is easier to
work with, but it's also limited in some ways. Ipf tends to have a more
complex ruleset, and more stateful functionality (ipfw can do stateful
filtering but ipf has more customisable state keeping rules IIRC), however
ipfw does have the ability to apply rules by uid's if you're doing a firewall
for the local machine, and it does have a packet/byte counter for each
individual rule. I'm not sure how this is with ipf as I haven't used is as
much as I have used ipfw.

Baldur