Date:      Tue, 28 May 2002 14:44:52 +0200
From:      Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>
To:        Rafter Man <rafter@linuxmail.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel modules

Rafter Man wrote:

> Hi FreeBSD'ers
>
> From a security point of view, I am not so happy about kernel modules being loaded dynamic.

AFAIK linux has many kernel component which are available as module only, too.
As in linux you can tell freebsd which kernel modules it has to build (and which not).

> I know you can change the securelevel, so this can't be done, but my question is: In the
> future, will all kernel modules also be available trough a static kernel?
??? Some things doesn't make sense in a static kernel. Another point is uptime,
it's (as far the interface keeps) more easy reload a kernel module than the kernel :-),
an if uptime is important (f.e. 99.999% per year) it's more secure having kernel modules.

> Another thing is the FREEBSD base system. I don't know if it is big compared to other unix's, but I hope
> (again for security) for a small and well organized base system.

The base system (minimal) is minimal. Of course, it's not just only a kernel,
but quite secure for me in the last time.

> Best regards
> Rafter
>
> Please cc to me (I am not on the list).
> --
>
> Powered by Outblaze

Regards,
Jens
--
L     i  W     W     W  i                 Jens Rehsack
L        W     W     W