Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 1995 17:05:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Network Coordinator <nc@ai.net>
To:        David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a router

Ahh... thanks for clearing me up on that, and so fast.

So the problem is how to get BSD to handle packets faster. And I guess my
question still is, why can't we move some of the packet-handling and routing
directly into the driver where it is a few layers closer to the actual
hardware. Not really off loading, but giving the packet-handling code a
chunk of the CPU time (probably as much as it needs) w/o being able to be
squeezed out by other processes and such.

I wasn't suggesting using a 486/ISA to act as a 100mbps router, just giving
you the system information to explain the 9.1 mbps thruput to localhost.
Even though I wouldn't be surprised if, with properly optimized code, if
one could handle it.

There is a program called pc-route for DOS systems that supposedly is as
fat-free as code can be [no branches in the assembly source, etc]. On a
pentium with 2 100 mbps cards, I am wondering how fast it could move
packets to give a theoretical packet/s maximum. Anyone have a
configuration where they could try it?

-Jerry.