Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 1995 16:59:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: sup and compress

Hi...

	someone mentioned that it might be an idea to turn on compression
in the standard sup files, in that it woudl take up more CPU, but less
network...

	...my question is, if everyone connecting to ftp.freebsd.org
were to have compress turned on, and the result being that each file
got sent out compressed, wouldn't that adversely affect the speed that
the supserver could send out the files, and therefore, it wouldn't take
as long to travel the link, but the time would be made up for by waiting
for each to compress?

	I just can't imagine 400 connections X gzip hitting that poor
supserver at once, and it actually making the transfer time faster, but
that's just me...

Marc G. Fournier | Knowledge, Information and Communications, Inc (ki.net)
scrappy@hub.org  |
 soon to be:     |
scrappy@ki.net   | For more information, send me email.