Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 1996 12:03:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   960627-SNAP - Problem with IPFirewall/portmap

     Just installed the 2.1-960627-SNAP, and ran into a system hang-up with
it.  I spent some time narrowing this down, it appears that the presence of
the IPFIREWALL option causes portmap to refuse connections.  rpcinfo -p
just prints an error, and amd can't register with portmap.  This leaves the
kernel in a somewhat strange state on amd's exit, and causes hang-ups when
accessing automount directories.

     Jun 29 16:45:19 stealth amd[98]/fatal: unable to register
     (AMQ_PROGRAM, AMQ_VERSION, udp)

     The GENERIC kernel works fine of course, since it doesn't have
IPFIREWALL built in.

     Without IPFIREWALL, rpcinfo -p behaves as expected, and amd starts up
and works fine.

     I actually haven't ever used IPFIREWALL -- I just pulled over my
2.1-RELEASE config file and tailored it based on the latest LINT.  It's one
of those things I put in to play with later, and adding it didn't cause any
problems with 2.1-RELEASE.  For now, I'll just remove it but I'm curious as
to whether this is a bug or something I don't have set up correctly.

Thanks,

Randall Hopper
rhh@ct.picker.com