Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 03:22:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Dan Seafeldt, AZ.COM System Administrator" <yankee@az.com>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        gdonl@tsc.tdk.com, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   MAPS effort / CISCO 12.0

I have a CISCO router upgraded to pre-release 12.0 and will look at that.
And regarding the mention of MAPS effort, I thought about that but I was
worried about all the ISP's out there who may use one
gateway/router to connect 2 separate upstream netblocks without any use of
BGP. In this case, it is possible that outbound packets will always go
through one upstream ISP even though the returns end up going through 2
different ISP's For example, a CISCO 2600 series with one Frame Relay
connection and 2 PVCS to two different upsteams, and the gateway set to one
of these PVC's with a different class C coming down each PVC's

I could see where an egress block enabled by the upstream provider who is
not the gateway would shut down access to that class C. Not all ISP's can
afford to or understand how to implement BGP but want some amount of
redudancy or additional bandwidth via 2 different upstreams.