Date:      Tue, 04 Jan 2000 10:25:57 -0500
From:      Tom Embt <tom@embt.com>
To:        sylaw <sylaw@singnet.com.sg>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compare Linux with FreeBSD

In the end, you probably just want to try them both.  For what it's worth,
Yahoo! chose FreeBSD over Linux for performance reasons.  Also, the default
FreeBSD installation does not enable all sorts of extra services (read:
security worries), as some Linuxes (Lini?) do.  If your FreeBSD server has
IDE drives, don't forget to enable UDMA & friends in your kernel.

Anyone trying to do a comprehensive comparison of Linux and FreeBSD will
probably be biased toward their own personal preference, or at least toward
the one of which they are more knowledgable.  Add to this the fact that not
everyone agrees on what features make a "Great OS" and it becomes apparent
what a religious issue it is.

Tom Embt