Date:      Tue, 01 Aug 2000 15:36:36 -0500
From:      Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem using cvsupit to move from 4.0 to 4.1

Thanks Jonathan.  I looked through the archives and found a reply to your
message:

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000 fosburgh@flash.net wrote:

##########################
 > I have tried posting this about three times from my computer at home,
 > but it never seems to go through.  Unfortunately, I do not currently
 > have access to the log of this, but if this makes it through this time
 > I will attempt to make it available if anyone requests it.  This
 > problem occurred both when upgrading 3.4-S to 4.0-R and again 4.0-R to
 > 4.0-S. When perl is installing, it dies with Error code 1 when running
 > h2ph (I believe that is what it is doing) on vm/vnode_pager.h.  This
 > file exists both under /include and under /src/sys and I can run h2ph
 > on the one under /src/sys manually (haven't tried the other.)
 > running make -k is a workaround, but I would like to know if anyone
 > has an idea what the problem might be.

make includes before make installworld, or make -k installworld followed by
make installworld, fixes this particular bug (i.e. it won't be necessary
again barring future bugs).

The problem is that libdes was reabsorbed into libcrypto in 4.0, and the
des.h include file replaced by a symlink to openssl/des.h. The problem is
that in certain cases perl is run over the headers after the symlink has
been created, but before the target file has been installed, so perl
follows the symlink into the void and dies.

This is (not surprisingly) a bug in the make world process since some of
the .ph headers will be out of sync with the .h headers. Now that you've
reminded me I'll try and get it fixed so it doesn't affect others in the
future.

Kris

I'm downloading the source again and will try running "make buildworld"make
-k installworld" followed by "make installworld" and see if it works.  It's
strange though that this is the fourth machine on which I've tried this and
this is the only one on which I'm experiencing any problems.

In his response Kris Kenneway said he was working on a fix.  Any further
news on this?

Oscar