Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 09:48:08 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: troubleshooting tree revisited

On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 02:45:01PM -0800, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> > If the markup format is DocBook (or, at the very least, something XML
> > based) then it's relatively easy to convert to HTML, and write another
> > application that parses the XML and displays flashscreens to the end
> > user.
>
> Hmm, but what would be the other use for the XML?  If the decision
> tree parser spits out HTML, I don't see much of an issue in what it's
> internal "database" format is

How many variants of HTML is it going to kick out?  One question per
page?  All questions in one page?  One section per page?

How do I specify the conversion process (i.e., the stylesheet that's
applied) to migrate from the internal document format to the HTML.

How do I make it easy to translate the decision tree text to other
languages?

How do I flag certain questions as only being appropriate for specific
releases of FreeBSD?

Keeping the decision tree in DocBook (whether it's DocBook/SGML or
DocBook/XML is irrelevant) makes all this possible with our existing
tool chain.

> and an XML parser would only make it harder to write. :)

ports/textproc/libxml2.