Date:      Tue, 07 Jan 2003 01:11:21 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        adaml@visimation.com
Subject:   Re: Redirecting root's email

Adam Lofstedt wrote:
[ ... ]
> Right, I don't care.  I just want to get root's emails out of there.
> Basically I'm trying to send root's emails outbound from the gateway
> through the internal interface to my internal mail server.  The gateway
> uses my internal name server to resolve names, so nothing should even be
> going out the external interface of the box.

OK.

>>Can you telnet internal_mailserver 25?
>
> Yes I can telnet to it from the gateway.  Definately my internal mail
> server is not the problem, as it is working normally.
>
>>Does it work if you turn off NAT and the redirect?
>
> Nope.  I flushed all the rules, my ipnat.rules in empty and my ipf.rules
> is pass in all and pass out all.

These two answers suggest that it may be a problem with the local sendmail
config, then.

Can you try making sendmail setuid-root for a bit (and move
/etc/mail/submit.cf out of the way, IIRC) to test whether that makes a
difference?  Or you could cvsup and/or get sendmail-8.12.7 from
ftp.sendmail.org and use their "sh ./Build install-set-user-id".

I'm not suggesting you should run setuid-root on a long-term basis, but it
would be good to identify or eliminate this as a potential problem.  Of
course, rebuilding sendmail may be more overhead than it's worth, too.

-Chuck