Date:      Sat, 7 Jun 1997 19:25:56 +0000
From:      "Alex Mondale" <alex@mondale.com>
To:        stevenr362@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   getting ppp to "alias demand dial"

Hi Steve,

It turned out I did have older ppp binaries (2.2-RELEASE) that didn't
have the alias enable yes line available in the ppp.conf. I am not an
old hand at setting up bind services, so have been working through
some problems with the name server. For some reason it isn't reading
out of the /etc/hosts file any more when bind is running.

The main difficulty at present seems to be that although demand
dialing works, it will only dial if I ping the "gateway"
machine that is on my ISP's side; pinging other sites on the net
result in "no route to host". Also, the second dialup often seems to
result in a link being established, but no packets getting
"gatewayed" out to the net. I have to telnet in to the pppd on port
3000, stop the service (or kill -9) and then manually restart it.
This is so far resulting in a lot of excess connect time, so I may go
back to dialing manually until som refinements are made in the ppp
software. Maybe the best idea is to use NAT, a lot of people suggest
that, although it seems sort of redundant if I can get  ppp -alias to
work.

Thanks for the snippets from your .conf and .boot files! I now have
the 3.0 SNAP from 5/27 running and like the rc.conf a lot better than
the old illegible sysconfig.

Alex