Date:      Tue, 3 Feb 1998 07:50:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chris Coleman <chris@bb.cc.wa.us>
To:        Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
Cc:        Adam Turoff <AdamT@smginc.com>, mike@smith.net.au, kpielorz@tdx.co.uk, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, config@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD updated Installation / Adminsitration Kit

> text like "press ESC to see probing messages", or whatever, down in a
> corner somewhere. The other virtual screens should be available with a
> login prompt where you could log in as root without password, so that
> people like us that's been there before can go in and do stuff on the
> side.
>
> Here you are able to set most things you will want to set, preferably
> even here with a special "advanced" choise, or having "advanced" choises
> for each thing you do, where it's needed (just like Win95 does it).

I liked everything up until the reboot. :-(  Win95 reboots so many times,
that it takes hours of time trying to install.  I really like the idea of
having an "automated" feature.  (wish win95 had one) where you could enter
in all the information in a few basic screens and then just leave it.
When you come back, its installed and rebooted waiting at the the login
prompt.  FreeBSD almost does this. (you would have to remove the floppy
before leaving).  It would stop only on critical errors, and log the rest.
Otherwise it would be real easy to install a basic system.

> So... Comments on this, anyone? :-)
>
>   /Mikael

Just my $.02

Christopher J. Coleman (whyareyou@lookingforme.com)
Computer Support Analyst I  (509)-762-6341
FreeBSD Book Project:  http://www.vmunix.com/fbsd-book/