Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 1996 07:33:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Frank J Estremera <festremera@shell.monmouth.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Confused!!!!

I am so confused as to how to boot FreeBSD from a boot manager, while on a
second drive. I have an internal IDE drive running Windows95. I also have a
secondary SCSI drive (device 0), totally devoted to FreeBSD. I do have
FreeBSD loaded on it, but when I installed FreeBSD, and selected BootEasy
as the boot manager, The operating system could not be found when booting to
Windows95 (primary drive). I deinstalled BootEasy and installed System
Commander as my boot manager. It recognized the SCSI drive as having FreeBSD
loaded on it, but when selected, System Commander tells me that the boot block
is missing on this device. The only way that I can boot FreeBSD is to insert
the install diskette in the A drive, boot from it, and when the BOOT prompt
appears, pointing it to hd(1,a)/kernel (I think). Just for laughs I did a
disklabel -B sd0 to maybe try to force a boot block on the SCSI device, but
to no avail (unless I am totally out in left field, which is likely). What
am I missing??? Why is my operating system under Windows95 being clobbered??
(I then have to do an fdisk from diskette to activate my C: partition again).
Please shine a flashlight on my face and enlighten me!

Frank