Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 1995 21:54:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Hittinger <bugs@ns1.win.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   re: Mail...

>>>             Did your comment mean to imply that an Intel based FreeBSD
>>> providing what people would generally think of as acceptable response can
>>> support 500 mail accounts?

We have a windows based uucp front end called "win net" which handles
e-mail and news.  We have thousands of customers sending and receiving
e-mail and roughly 70% of those subscribe to some subset of usenet
news groups.  We've recently added a TCP/IP stack onto this product
so that we have an offline mail/news reader plus on-line web junk ect.

It is doable - and you might be surprised.  FreeBSD is actually a bit
faster than some of the commercial Unix OS that we experimented with
as platforms for our service.

Regards,

Mark Hittinger
bugs@win.net