Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2006 20:12:30 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD UFS "vulnerability": Is NIST off its medication, or am I missing something?

http://nvd.nist.gov/nvd.cfm?cvename=CVE-2006-5824

Following the links around, it seems that you would have to mount a "corrupt" or
"malicious" filesystem in order to exploit this "vulnerability".

Yes, NIST claims there is no authentication required to exploit?  Are new versions
of FreeBSD suddenly allowing unauthenticated users to mount filesystems by default?
If so, something's wrong with my 6.1 workstation!

It seems like this is the 2nd or 3rd "vulnerability" I've seen that's been blown
out of proportion by NIST, or am I missing something?