Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 12:56:59 EST
From:      "Alistair M" <tlli@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: raid1 on vinum

Hi,

ok - sorry about that. Here is the output from vinum list:

2 drives:

4 volumes:
V root            State: up	Plexes:       2	Size:       6149 MB
V root_home       State: up	Plexes:       2	Size:       3077 MB
V var             State: up	Plexes:       2	Size:       3077 MB
V usr             State: up	Plexes:       2	Size:       6149 MB

8 plexes:
P root.p0        C State: up	Subdisks:     1	Size:       6140 MB
P root.p1        C State: up	Subdisks:     1	Size:       6149 MB
P root_home.p0   C State: up	Subdisks:     1	Size:       3068 MB
P root_home.p1   C State: up	Subdisks:     1	Size:       3077 MB
P var.p0         C State: up	Subdisks:     1	Size:       3068 MB
P var.p1         C State: up	Subdisks:     1	Size:       3077 MB
P usr.p0         C State: up	Subdisks:     1	Size:       6140 MB
P usr.p1         C State: up	Subdisks:     1	Size:       6149 MB

8 subdisks:
S root.p0.s0        State: up	PO:        0  B Size:       6140 MB
S root.p1.s0        State: up	PO:        0  B Size:       6149 MB
S root_home.p0.s0   State: up	PO:        0  B Size:       3068 MB
S root_home.p1.s0   State: up	PO:        0  B Size:       3077 MB
S var.p0.s0         State: up	PO:        0  B Size:       3068 MB
S var.p1.s0         State: up	PO:        0  B Size:       3077 MB
S usr.p0.s0         State: up	PO:        0  B Size:       6140 MB
S usr.p1.s0         State: up	PO:        0  B Size:       6149 MB

You have the extract from /var/log/messages, and you know that my problem is
that I don't know how to get vinum to copy the data from /dev/ad2 to
/dev/ad3.
I can't seem to find the vinum_history file in /var/tmp/

thanks,
alistair.

On Wednesday, 27 September 2000 at 12:23:39 -0500, Alistair M wrote:
 >> On Wednesday, 27 September 2000 at 11:19:49 -0500, Alistair M wrote:
 >>> From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>

 >>> I did as you said, and created the volumes with "setupstate".
 >>> I was unable to move /dev/ad2 and /dev/ad3 to /dev/ad1 and /dev/ad2
 >>
 >> I don't understand what you mean here.
 >>
 >>> I placed everything in /dev/ad2a and want to mirror to /dev/ad3a.
 >>>
 >>> All the volumes were set up properly, and plexes were in the 'up' state
 >>> after doing a: vinum create -f /etc/vinum.cfg.
 >>>
 >>> I edited /etc/rc.conf and added start_vinum="YES".
 >>>
 >>> I then executed:
 >>> vinum start
 >>> and I got some error saying:
 >>> /kernel: vinum: no drives found
 >>
 >> That sounds reasonable if Vinum is already running.  'vinum start'
 >> just goes looking for new drives.
 >>
 >>> ** mp drives found: No such file or directory
 >>> /kernel: vinum: no drives found
 >>>
 >>> I executed it again and I got this message:
 >>> /kernel: vinum: updating configuration from /dev/ad3s1a
 >>> /kernel: vinum: updating configuration from /dev/ad2s1a
 >>>
 >>> What is going on?
 >>
 >> I don't know.  You should have got the same message again.  You also
 >> haven't described anything that is obviously a problem.  But you
 >> haven't really given me enough information to tell.  Take a look at
 >> vinum(4) or http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html and give me
 >> the information I ask for there.
 >
 > Hi again,
 >
 > this is what my partitions look like:
 >
 > 8 partitions:
 > #        size   offset  fstype [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
 >   a: 37748736        0  vinum                  	# (Cyl.    0 - 2349*)
 >   b:  2283960 37748736   swap                  	# (Cyl. 2349*- 2491*)
 >   c: 40032696        0 unused     0     0      	# (Cyl.    0 - 2491*)
 >

 > /dev/ad3
 > 8 partitions:
 > #        size offset fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
 >   a: 40032696      0  vinum                    	# (Cyl.    0 - 2491*)
 >   c: 40032696      0 unused      0     0       	# (Cyl.    0 - 2491*)

Fine.

 > This is my vinum.cfg:

Please read http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html:

What information to supply

    If you need to contact me because of problems with Vinum, please send
    me a mail message with the following information:

        Supply the output of the vinum list command. If you can't start
        Vinum, supply the on-disk configuration, as described below. If
        you can't start Vinum, then (and only then) send a copy of the
        configuration file.

    What not to supply

    Please don't supply the following information unless I ask for it:

        Your Vinum configuration file, unless your problem is that you
        can't start Vinum at all.

 > Here is some output from /var/log/messages after doing a vinum create:
 > (snip: looks OK)
 >
 > Everything seems fine so far.

I can't tell yet.

 > When I do a vinum start -w, I get an error saying it can't find any
 > vinum drives.

I don't see that in the output.

 > With the -w switch it is supposed to wait for the operation to
 > complete. It doesn't so I am assuming that it isn't copying the data
 > over from ad2 to ad3.

I don't know what you're doing, but I'm pretty sure you're doing it
wrong.

 > My problem is I don't know where to go from here. How do I get the
 > data from ad2 to ad3 once I have configured vinum (or have
 > I?!?!). If I reboot my machine at this stage, I just get a whole lot
 > of garbage on the screen and it justs hangs.

Your problem is that you're not supplying the information I ask for.
Please do so.  Until you do, I do not intend to reply.

 > At that stage I have been reinstalling FreeBSD4.1.

That is almost always the wrong thing to do.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.