Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 16:31:05 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, grog@lemis.de, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getty(8) don't show `login:' prompt

>                                            ^^^^^^^^

> > >    I'd prefer to see this implemented as an option in FreeBSD (default to no
> > > extra delay if the option is not specified)...like Greg suggests above.
> >
> > I believe it defaults to 2 if a specific delay is omitted, and the -S
> > option is used.
> >
> > I would prefer to see it implemented as, for instance, :md#2:, in
> > /etc/gettytab instead of as a command line option at all.
>
> Huh?  What are you smoking Terry?  The getty that Greg's talking about
> is his local version which hasn't seen the light of day in FreeBSD.  How
> do you know all about it since you haven't seen it or the source code
> for it?

They are called "English classes".  You should light one up.  8-).  8-).

He states that the value indicated by the identifier "delay" may be
omitted for a delay value of 2:

	<delay> may be omitted and defaults to 2.

This statement is made in the context of the -S option.  Thus, presumably,
one must use the -S option and omit the (optional: BNF "[delay]" was
used; bracketed items may be ommited in BNF) parameter to get the
default of 2.

So besides "smoking English classes", I *read* his supplied man page
excerpt. 8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---