Date:      Thu, 1 Jul 1999 16:16:39 -0500
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slow start?

On Jul 07, 1999 at 02:01:42PM -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> If memory serves me right, Jonathan Lemon wrote:
>
> >   I'm slightly confused; is slow-start still required if both hosts
> > are on the same "LAN"?  Note that a bridged environment is still
> > considered a single LAN for ethernet purposes, even though the hosts
> > may be separated by (say) an ISDN bridge.
>
> For a host sending to another host on the same *subnet*, no, the sender
> doesn't go through slow-start.  (In BSD-derived TCP stacks.)
>
> "Another host on the same subnet" means that the sender doesn't need to
> forward packets through a router to get to the destination, which is a
> slightly broader case than "the same 'LAN'".

Yeah, digging around, I just found the relevant subroutine: in_localaddr().

I was suprised, since I expected slow start in all cases.  While I
can understand why slow start may not be desirable on a "local subnet",
some of this code seems dated.  I mean, it still calculates the
netmask as CLASS_A(), CLASS_B(), etc.
--
Jonathan