Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 22:13:43 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "'Shill'" <shill@free.fr>, "'Lanny Baron'" <lnb@FreeBSDsystems.COM>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: inetd and identd

Your really confusing my poor brain with the mixed swapping
of identd and inetd that seems to be in your posts!

All inetd does is spawn off other programs in response to
incoming network requests.  I'm really not sure how setting
it up with debugging enabled is going to help.  Neverthless,
the reason your system hands is that according to the man
pages, inetd -d runs in the foreground, not the background.

When the system boots, it executes programs in the rc scripts.
Every one of these startup programs must in effect "detach"
from the process running the rc scripts, to allow the
script processor to continue on to the next statement.  This
is done by starting the various programs as daemons, independent
of the parent rc script that started them.

When the rc scripts fires up inetd, it does so very early on in
the system's boot phase, I think even before the system goes
multiuser, certainly well before the console is started up.
Putting a foreground program (which is what inetd -d does) in
there transfers control from the shell executing the rc script
to the inetd program, and the whole shebang shudders to a halt.
If the inetd program were to exit, the rc script would pick up
where it left off.  But, it can't exit because at that time
the console hasn't even been brought up, and networking isn't up,
so you can neither Cntl-C it from the console, or telnet into the
system and kill it.