Date:      Fri, 9 May 1997 09:25:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scsi MEDIUM ERRORS?

> I just installed a new 2.1G scsi disk on my 2.1.5 system and got
> these errors:
>
> (lots of these, with different "info" values)
> sd2(aha0:2:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:a246b asc:11,1 Read retries exhausted

(...)

> I thought scsi was supposed to deal with these sort of things? Is
> there something I need to do to make these go away?

Note that these are unrecovered read errors. The SCSI spec doesn't
permit the drive to fix these.  Since this is a new drive, format
it with scsiformat, verify that ARRE and AWRE are on in mode page 1,
and then try again.  It is disconcerting that you received the
drive like this.

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.               Voice: 508 433 6936