Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 2013 14:33:10 -0700
From:      John Reynolds <johnjen@reynoldsnet.org>
To:        Niclas Zeising <zeising@freebsd.org>
Cc:        x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need help untangling Xorg behavior on Haswell board, KMS, etc. etc.

> Looking at this log, it seems that it first loads the intel driver, but
> since that doesn't work, it falls back to using the VESA driver.  You
> can try to force the use of the intel driver in xorg.conf, however, this
> might render your X unusable.  I suggest you post your dmesg and kldstat
> after you've started X, to see if the intel kms kernel module is loaded
> and attached to the graphics card.  It might very well be that the
> current kernel driver doesn't support haswell.  Have you tried CURRENT
> as well?

OK I have the machine configured again and just loaded Xorg without any
config file. This is with a 9.2-BETA1 kernel/world.

kldstat shows:

Id Refs Address            Size     Name
  1   32 0xffffffff80200000 15e9798  kernel
  2    1 0xffffffff81a12000 9ebf     linprocfs.ko
  3    1 0xffffffff81a1c000 57b69    linux.ko
  4    1 0xffffffff81a74000 69471    i915kms.ko
  5    1 0xffffffff81ade000 197b     iicbb.ko
  6    4 0xffffffff81ae0000 1d46     iicbus.ko
  7    1 0xffffffff81ae2000 1cc3     iic.ko
  8    1 0xffffffff81ae4000 34f5c    drm2.ko

However, dmesg doesn't really show anything related to drm or kms or
anything. Just a bunch of entries related to "pulseaudio" not being able
to find something. So no real clues there.

I will not be able to track -CURRENT on this box, so I'm afraid I won't
be of any help there. I'll just ride-out however long it takes and use
the fall-back VESA driver until patches find their way into 9-STABLE.

Thanks!

-jr