Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 1998 19:14:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brandon Lockhart <brandon@engulf.net>
To:        Jeremy Domingue <jer@hughes.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, smp@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disgruntled Linux User... questions about FreeBSD

First of all, I do not recommend Gateway 2k for server's.  Get a COMPAQ or
HP or SUN.  RISC is the way to go.

Second of all, no offense, but I don't need to hear your life story about
your *server*, you could have just asked the questions.

:1) First and foremost, I am wondering what issues I will face being a user
:very accustomed to linux. I know there will be differences between linux and
:FreeBSD, but can anyone outline some of the major ones?

Well, let's see.  Linux is a clone of SYSV, and FreeBSD a clone of BSD, is
that major enough for you?  Possibly different devices, different FS,
different operating system, just to name a few.

:2) Is there a way I can install FreeBSD without losing all of the stuff on
:the server right now such as user files, web pages, programs, etc? And
:possibly keep linux on there somewhere in case I ever decide to go back?

Ever heard of a tape backup or multiple partitions?  Possibly a nice CD-RW

:3) Is anyone using SMP on FreeBSD with an Adaptec 7880 on-board SCSI
:controller? Linux people keep telling me that this is not a good
:configuration for Linux... how about for FreeBSD?

Most likely.  I am not to experienced with it.

:4) I know that the current build of FreeBSD is listed as development and
:should not be used in a mission critical environment, however, what are
:people's experiences with it so far? If it seems to be fairly stable, I
:would be willing to give it a shot... I really need the SMP support.

I love my 3.0-CURRENT, update every saturday.  yes, sometimes I do need to
patch some things, but hey, that's what you get when you have crappy
hardware.

:5) Are there any other problems or issues I may face with my hardware
:configuration (listed below)?

Read #1, difference device names and you may have faster access to the
devices, if that is a problem for you.  Your performance will most likely
be boosted, and you will most likely have a more stable system, my
suggestion, hit it with a stick twice a night or until it crashes to solve
the stability problem.

:I would also be very interested in hearing from other previous (or current)
:Linux users' experiences with FreeBSD, and what comments they may have about
:the differences and advantages (especially stability-wise) to using FreeBSD
:instead of Linux.
:
:Any input would be greatly appreciated....
:
:Only 24 hours till the next Linux crash... woo hoo!
:
:TIA,
:
:Jeremy Domingue
:jer@hughes.net
:
:Hardware Configuration:
:
:Gateway (formerly ALR) NS-7000 Server
:Dual PII 266mhz
:512mb EDO ECC SDRAM (all from the same lot, same manufacturer)
:Adaptec 7880 on-board SCSI controller
:3Com 10/100 Ethernet Card
:2-4.1gb IBM SCSI hard drives
:
:
:with "unsubscribe freebsd-current" in the body of the message
:

    |          ////   "Anything I say represents only my opinion."    |
    | |                      BRANDON LOCKHART                       | |
    |  brandon.lockhart@usinternetworking.com     brandon@engulf.net  |
    |  Work: (410) 897-4551                    Pager: (888) xxx-xxxx  |