Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 1999 14:09:15 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mark Powell <M.S.Powell@ais.salford.ac.uk>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Real time clock problem in 3.1-STABLE

Something to do with the kernel not understanding the Real Time Clock
hardware properly? Checking through the ntp logs I note that for one time
whilst the machine was up the time was getting set correctly. However,
after the next reboot the clock was drifting again.

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
> Mark Powell wrote:
> >
> > Installed 3.1-STABLE on an Apricot Shogun server. xntpd wouldn't sync time
> > correctly though. I set it up just as I do on any other machine. However,
> > on the same machine RedHat 5.2 can sync the time just fine.
>
> Are you running securelevel>1?

No. Should I be?

> Try completely disabling APM on BIOS. I mean *completely*, as in
> *all* options. There are some BIOS in which APM will *not* be
> completely disabled unless you disable *all* options related to it,
> no matter what the fields description would led you to believe.

There is no APM in the BIOS. This is a >2yr old server with big
motherboard 2xPCI buses and an EISA bus. It supports extra processors on
daughtercards, but currently only has one card with one processor
installed.

> Alternatively, try using a kernel with APM.

How will APM affect the time?

Mark Powell - System Administrator (UNIX) - Clifford Whitworth Building
A.I.S., University of Salford, Salford, Manchester, UK.
Tel: +44 161 295 5936  Fax: +44 161 295 5888  www.pgp.com for PGP key
M.S.Powell@ais.salfrd.ac.uk (spell salford correctly to reply to me)