Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 1996 09:45:50 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@tombstone.sunrem.com>
To:        Weldon S Godfrey 3 <weldon@excelsus.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux passwd -> FBSD passwd utility

On Fri, 28 Jun 1996, Weldon S Godfrey 3 wrote:
> I would like to setup a FBSD box to replace an Linux system, but there is
> the issue of porting the passwords over.  Does anyone have, or know where
> to get, an utility/method to import linux passwords into a FreeBSD box?
>
> Weldon

I dont know about a linux system with shadow passwords, but this will
work elsewhere (assuming they are using the same password encryption
scheme

----cut here----
#!/usr/bin/perl

##
## syntax: frobpwd < linux.passwd > freebsd.passwd
##
## No guarantees about the suitability or functionality of this script,
## I just hacked it up from memory of one I have used before
##

while (<STDIN>) {
    chomp;
    ($name, $pwd, $uid, $gid, $gcos, $home, $shell) = split(/:/);
    print "$name:$pwd:$uid:$gid::0:0:$gcos:$home:$shell\n";
}