Date:      Thu, 6 Aug 1998 20:38:26 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   AD1815 Based Sound Cards

Has anyone ever used a card based on the Analog Devices AD1815 chip?
I can get it detected by the pcm driver, and I can use the mixer, and I
can 'cat kernel > /dev/dsp0' and it sounds like a kernel.  :)  (I can play
real .wav files by catting them to the device, or using splay, as well.)

HOWEVER...  I can't play an mp3 using mp123 or splay.  When I try, I get:

SoundBlaster: DSP Command(0xd1) timeout, IRQ conflict ?
SoundBlaster: DSP Command(0x48) timeout, IRQ conflict ?
SoundBlaster: DSP Command(0x91) timeout, IRQ conflict ?
SoundBlaster: DSP Command(0xd3) timeout, IRQ conflict ?

It cuts off the line input at this point too, and the mixer no longer
seems to have any effect.  So.... The question is.  What the heck is going
on, here?

I don't think it really is an IRQ conflict or PNP configuration problem.
The card is PNP only, and in a PNP machine it seems to set itself up
reasonably.  (When I put it in this machine, pnpinfo reports that it set
itself to irq 5, 0x220, drq1, etc... the usual values.)  The pcm driver,
set to those settings finds the card as pcm0.  If I add the vendor ID to
sb_dsp.c, it is detected as pcm1 automatically, regardless of the pcm0
settings, as far as I can tell.

In a non-pnp machine, I set it manually via userconfig to irq9, drq1,
0x220.  It is then detected as pcm0 with matching settings in userconfig.

It seems to me like an interrupt problem, but I don't see why it would be
having a problem.  Does anyone have any docs for this chip?  I haven't
found any yet.

Dropping a Vibra16X based SoundBlaster in the same machines works fine.
(Even at the same hard wired IRQ settings, etc. in the non-pnp machine.)

Any ideas?

Later......						<Doug>