Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2006 19:05:53 -0600
From:      "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        rickie lyman <rickie24@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: I don't see anything to answer my q

On 11/21/06, Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 09:38:26PM -0500, rickie lyman wrote:
>
> > I am a newbee and sometimes Dizzy too. My question is I have a computer that
> > has a rather large drive but it is all formated in NTFs and yes it has XP
> > Pro on it how would I be able to put Free BSD on there without loosing the
> > files I have with the other operating system?? I told you that I was
> > confused.
>
> First, is there plenty of empty space on that disk.   If you have
> used up all the space with something, then you can't do it on that
> disk.  You will have to add one.
>
> But, more than likely, you haven't used up the space - there is probably
> lots, more than half still unfilled.   So, then, no problem.
>
> You will have to use some utility to shrink the existing NTFS file
> system on the drive.
>
> As far as I know, there are no freeware utilities that will do this
> for NTFS.   The ones that come with FreeBSD will handle fat and fat32
> just fine, but not NTFS.

A quick Gogol* led me to this:

http://www.linuxmigration.com/quickref/install/disk.html

Which mentions Man-drake 9.1 (& therfor is of dubious
currency: http://www.mandriva.com/ ), though one might
assume that many of thee Torvaldsians's so-called "distros"
might do similarly.  In other words: try a linux live CD/DVD.

I would try knoppix, because I have a CD, except that I do
not have an NTFS anything handy to test it myself.

Otherwise, McAllister's writeup is sound, sane, and probably
as in-depth as you can hope for.

*http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=resize+ntfs