Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 1995 11:10:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        dufault@hda.com (Peter Dufault)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: kern/248: scbus attach/probe printf inconsistency

> Peter da Silva writes:
> >
> > > For scsi the only unreal value is sectors/track.  All other values are
> > > as reported by the drive.
> >
> > Since s/t can vary either the other two numbers are made up (and not real) or
> > you have to make up a s/t value (and thus they're not useful).
> >
> > The only useful information the SCSI drive reports is the total number of
> > blocks (unless it's a very old drive like mine that tells the absolute truth
> > in all three categories, but is dinosaurs are in the minority).
>
> I agree.  Even my token dinosaur drive uses ZBR.  I haven't checked
> my 20MB Seagate drive lately.
>
> I'll remove the Cyl/Head/Sectors except during the verbose boot.
> That will also let the disk probe fit on a single line, it will
> soon look something like:
>
> > (aha0:3:0): "FUJITSU M2654S-512 010P" is a type 0 fixed SCSI 2
> > sd2(aha0:3:0): Direct-Access 1959MB with 4014054 512 byte sectors.

Please make that:
sd2(aha0:3:0): Direct-Access 1959MB with 4014054 sectors of 512 bytes

It reads much easier, and drop the trailing period please, probe messages
have under BSD never had them that I can see.  [There are a few other
places these need removed]

> And with verboseboot it can look like:
>
> > (aha0:3:0): "FUJITSU M2654S-512 010P" is a type 0 fixed SCSI 2
> > sd2(aha0:3:0): Direct-Access 1959MB with 4014054 512 byte sectors
Hey, what happened to the period? :-) :-)

> > sd2(aha0:3:0): with 2179 cylinders, 21 heads, and 87 sectors/track.
Drop the period.

> Not that it matters, but all the info (including sectors/track)
> is usually from the drive, but the drive makes it up.

What???  I can't find a scsi mode sense that will give me sectors/track
no place in the *standard*.  I can find stuff in the vendor uniq to
get zones and sizes of zones, but that is about it.