Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 1997 10:22:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us, adrian@staff.psinet.net.au, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best way to hook into user logins / logouts ?

> > Personally, I think you're confusing "login" (gaining direct
> > access to a system, or opening and entering a door) with
> > "authentication" (the locks we put on the doors).
> >
> > But, as I said, it all depends on how you define things.
>
> Not really.  I'm attempting to determine where the door(s) are so that
> I can put locks on them.

Or alternate locks.

For "correct" code, given the currently accepted implementation methods,
the "in" door is "login" and/or "login -f".

The "out" door is "init", as it reaps a process which is a group leader
which it inherited from "getty exec's login execs group leader".

Why do you need an "out" door?

If you decide you *really* can't live without some kind of "out" door,
my recommendation is "login" forks instead of execs, and hangs around
as the session manager, but not the process group leader.  This requires
a small change in the way signals like SIGHUP are propagated, and
another small change in the way tcsetpgrp/tcgetpgrp operate in the way
processes are "foregrounded".  It also wants some changes to xdm, to
either fully implement symmetry with "login", or to force it to go
through "login" and establish the standard session manager as its
"arbitrary program" ('man xdm' for details).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---