Date:      Sun, 5 Sep 1999 05:19:27 +1000
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        spork <spork@super-g.com>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@FreeBSD.org.uk>, Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Invitation to participate in PPPoE Trial" (fwd)

On Fri, Aug 20, 1999 at 01:31:58PM -0400, spork wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, jonathan michaels wrote:
>
> > i realise that all things bright and shiney are seen as must
> > haves, but could you (briefly and not so technically) explain
> > to me and the others who may also be wondering what real
> > advantage PPPoE would offer to endusers.
>
> <sarcasm>
>
> It's great!!  Your ISP has to shell out for a Redback box to terminate
> these connections (they co-authored the RFC w/UUNet), so right there if
> you are a customer with stock in RedBack, you make a little cash.  On top
> of that, you bandwidth goes down a bit as you encapsulate umpteen

this aggregation is happening all over the place, from what
limited reading i've been able to do, especially with and about
atm and the like. i realise atm is another ball game but it
strikes me as a similar methodology .. sort off.

> protocols inside each other, you get a sloppier network design from your
> dsl provider as they realize that with PPPoE they can think of their dsl
> cloud as a "Big LAN", and you get to put that new PIII's spare cycles to

i have my own reservations about most all flavours of dsl, the
ones beng planed for rollout over australia are not real suited
to cleint sneeds, raither the providors pockets .. aka chea and
real nasty.

> use doing PPP on your 1.6Mb link.  And don't forget how your dedicated dsl
> line now requires you to "dial up" each time you want to do something...

and why do you thing these value added thingamagigs are being
developed ? how else is marica telcos going to get onto the
cash cows that are the local fee for connect to voice/data
network .. sorry i'm  bit conspriacy mnded today.

> Those redback folks have an excellent sales team.

alla, microsoft, redhat, ibm, et al

> </sarcasm>
>
> I don't much care for the idea.

me too, though for slightly different reasons, sort off.

regards and thx.

jonathan

ps, al pleaese excuse my deteriorating typing, my hands are not
themselves thes days.