Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 11:48:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Mike Andrews <mandrews@bit0.com>
Cc:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RE: Weird sporadic DNS resolution problems

:Short term, though, I liked the suggestion about stuffing an entry in
:/etc/hosts to work around the broken domains' DNS problems, and that does
:work for me for now.  So at least I have an ugly workaround.. much less
:ugly than restarted named every few hours though.  Next, I'm going to
:start comparing the sendmail.cf files built from my old 8.9.3 .mc file and
:my current 8.11.x .mc file and see if any big differences jump out at
:me...
:
:Mike Andrews * mandrews@dcr.net * mandrews@bit0.com * http://www.bit0.com

    Don't do that!

    If the broken hosts have at least one working name server, then you
    can use options in named.conf to make bind ignore the broken servers.
    The bind documentation has all the information you need to make this
    work.  This is a whole lot safer then creating static entries in
    /etc/hosts.

						-Matt