Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2006 01:27:42 +0200
From:      Hans Nieser <h.nieser@xs4all.nl>
To:        usleepless@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New port: pvrxxx for Hauppauge PVR150/500

usleepless@gmail.com wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> i just want to make people aware that now there is a driver for the
> Hauppauge PVR150 and PVR500 cards ( multimedia/pvrxxx ).
>
> it is based on the pvr250 port and some linuxtv.org code.
>
> features and missing features:
> - stable
> - supports more than 1 card in a single machine
> - runs on 4.x, 5.x, 6.x
> - partial v4l(2) interface, currently only tested with MythTV 0.18-fixes
> - tuner input and composite input
> - no radio support yet
> - no ir support yet
>
> i am currently working on vbi support. if someone has a pvr250 and a
> pvr150/500, i would be interested in making this driver support
> 150+250+500. it should not be too hard.
>
> any feedback is welcome.

Well, now that I actually have a working cable, the card seems to work
fine (yay! :) ) and I'm getting a beautiful picture from /dev/cxm0.

However I am having some trouble selecting different geometries. Using the
default geometry (which appears to be 720x576) there are no problems, but
with any of the others, things get stretched out, the image is clipped,
and the compression seems really high (i.e. I'm seeing huge compression
artifacts) at the 480x576 resolution.

I have some example snapshots of the different geometries I tried online at:

http://www.aphax.nl/images/pvrxxx/352x288.jpg
http://www.aphax.nl/images/pvrxxx/352x576.jpg
http://www.aphax.nl/images/pvrxxx/480x576.jpg
http://www.aphax.nl/images/pvrxxx/720x576.jpg
(created using VLC's snapshot function)

The reason I don't just stick to the default geometry is that the
compression is too low; the captured file increases by about 1.1MB per second.