Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 22:57:21 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        Valery Zamarayev <qd@sea.com.ua>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: creating cdrom

On 3/28/00, 1:05:20 PM, Valery Zamarayev <qd@sea.com.ua> wrote regarding=
=20
Re: creating cdrom:

> On Mon, Mar 27, 2000 at 12:04:53PM -0600, David Kelly wrote:
> > Jesus <jesus@innova.rcanaria.es> writes:
> > >
> > > Hello:
> > >
> > > I need generate a cdrom ISO9660 image from a directory.
> >
> > Install cdrecord out of the ports collection.

> I'd also recommend mkhybrid (/usr/ports/sysutils/mkhybrid) to create=20
ISO9660
> images. I successfully tried it myself. It can create hybrid Joilett,
> Rockridge etc. images so that you have long names in both FreeBSD and =

Windows.

> --
> Sincerely etc.  Valery Zamarayev
> http://www.sea.com.ua

Dear Valery Zamarayev,

I have been using "mkisofs -D -U -R": curious as it may seem, it works=20
like charm for me. I can access all my backed-up freebsd files with no=20
difficulty. I have even tried 9 levels of directory nesting. Not sure=20
*if* and *where* I will hit the limit, if any ... :-)

-D =3D no deep relocation;=20
-U =3D untranlated, ie non-truncated file names (up to 30 characters);
-R =3D Rockridge extensions.

BTW, I issued some "diff -r" commands to make sure that my files had=20
been correctly copied (safe paranoia).=20

Practically, I can save my freebsd trees with small to no changes in=20
file names [wild screams of joy censored]

Not yet tried -J (Joliet), but I could NOT care less about Winblows=20
:-))

Best regards,
Salvo

P.S. The only thing I have yet to do with Winblows is ... cleaning my=20
Epson Stylus Color 800 heads. Until I find out how to do it under=20
FreeBSD :-)))