Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 1995 09:54:31 +0200 (EET)
From:      "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>
To:        rjiang@akbs.com (Ruiyuan Jiang)
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting our own News server under CNews

Hello,

# I am trying to setup our own Usenet News server with CNews (maybe I need
# nntp transport, nntp-1.5.11.5.tgz, I am not sure)under FreeBSD v2.1, 486
# DX-20, 20 MB RAM.

	Works Ok for us since old 1.1 days.

# current problem that I face is how to set it up so we can downloaded the
# internet news from our internet service provider NetCom through 56 kbps
# Frame Realy line (not uucp link). According to the book that I mentioned
# above, I need to modify several files under /usr/local/lib/news
# directory.
#
# 1. active, this file I can get from NetCom for first time setup. Can I
# use: cat active.netcom | awk '{printf("%s 000000000 000000000 %s\n", $1,
# $4) }' > active
#
# to become my own actual "active" file?

	There is a script 'mergeactive' in ${NEWSBIN}/maint subdir.
	Look at it and use it. Was Ok last time I need it.

# 2. mailname, currently this file contains: no.such.domain. should I put
# in our own domain name: akbs.com and remark that line?

	Yes, you should put a "Usenet reincarnation" of your machine
	name there. This means _not_ a canonical hostname of your
	box but a name which is known for Usenet community as a name
	of your news system. I'm not sure that remarking will work in this file.

# 3. mailpaths, should I remark the two lines and two lines:
#   backbone %s
#   internet %s

	? For example, for our internal news hierarchies here,
	  they are elvisti.*, we have the following in the mailpath file:

	  elvisti	%s@elvisti.kiev.ua

	I.e. when someone posts to a moderated group elvisti.info.biz.ukr,
	a mail alias <elvisti-info-biz-ukr@elvisti.kiev.ua> gets this
	posting for approval.

	What dows "backbone" and "internet" mean -- I'm confused here.

# Also in the organization file, should I put in my company name in it?

	Why not? It might be appropriate. We did so, nothing bad
	happened. :-)

# Thanks in advance.
#
	Good luck!

# Ruiyuan Jiang
# System Administrator
# Advantage kbs, Inc.
# rjiang@akbs.com
# (908) 287-2236
#

--

	With best regards -- Andrew Stesin.

	+380 (44) 2760188	+380 (44) 2713457	+380 (44) 2713560

	An undocumented feature is a coding error.