Date:      Sun, 1 Jul 2001 07:35:38 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jason Nugent <malhavoc@stomped.com>
To:        <kek971@mail.usask.ca>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: disable services?

I usually use nmap to do a quick scan of a machine once I think I've taken
down everything I want kept turned off. You can build it from the
/usr/ports/security/nmap directory.

The other place to make sure stuff is turned off is in /etc/rc.conf. There
are a large number of config options that you can use to turn off things
(like, say, sendmail).  You should also look into ipfw or ipfilter, both
of which let you set up a firewall to restrict access to services that you
might want to keep running.

HTH, Jason

On Sun, 1 Jul 2001 at 7:33am, kek971@mail.usask.ca thought about

> after checking inetd.conf and some shell scripts in rc.d directory, if still there are some services which are
> supposed to be off, then where else can i check?
> ...or is there anything like 'ntsysv' in linux ? ... still ambigous how to manage services....
>
> Thank you in advance.....

Jason Nugent
Aka MalHavoc
Server Programmer and Administrator