Date:      Tue, 05 Jan 1999 15:22:10 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
Cc:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, Dmitry Valdov <dv@dv.ru>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: options COMPAT_LINUX makes kernel fail to compile

David Scheidt wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Michael Lucas wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Not that this is an actual fix to the problem, but:
> >
> > The COMPAT_LINUX kernel option isn't needed any more, per Marcel.  (At
> > least, when I wrote an article on this, it wasn't.)  You can probably
> > remove COMPAT_LINUX entirely.
>
> I use COMPAT_LINUX because I make kernels more frequently then I make world
> or modules.  I get fewer panics that way.
>
> David Scheidt

You should definately use a static kernel without modules if you are
tracking -current and rebuilding regularly.  It is too easy to shoot
yourself in the foot by getting /modules and the kernel out of sync while
the internal interfaces are still changing.

Using kld's to develop drivers is different.

Cheers,
-Peter