Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 2003 09:12:27 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Subhro Sankha Kar <subhro@indiashells.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Primary Slave does not work

Subhro Sankha Kar wrote:
> Hello Folks,
> I am a newbie to FreeBSD. I got a 40GB IDE Seagate Cheetah connected to
> the Primary as the master and a Samsung CD-ROM SC-152C as a slave to the
> Hard Drive. I have also got a Samsung CD Writer SW-212B connected to the
> secondary controller as master. When I boot FreeBSD-4.7-Release it fails
> to recognise my CDROM Drive. I can see entries like "ATA Device
> Identification Retries Exceeded". Just for an experiment I tried to
> connect the CDROM as a slave to the CD Writer on the Secondary. This
> time it worked fine. I cant keep my CDROM and CDWRITER on the same
> controller as I need to copy on-the-Fly. Can you please help me to make
> my CDROM work as a slave to the HD?

Get a better CD ROM?
Search the list archives for threads on CD ROMs.  I believe the upshot is
that many CD ROMs have badly implemented ATA interfaces that don't work
well with certain other interfaces.  (i.e. You CD ROM works OK with a
CD burner that's only doing ATA 33, but can't function on a chain with
a HDD that's doing ATA 100)
The problem seems to be fairly common, it comes up on the list about once
a month.  I've seen it a number of times as well, and the solution has
always been to move the CD ROM to the secondary chain.  In your case,
moving to the secondary chain is a problem (I assume) because you want
to dup CDs at the max speed the burner will go.  If you _need_ to have
it work, you'll either need a CD ROM that works with all other ATA devices,
or switch to SCSI devices.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies