Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 95 13:26:27 +0100
From:      jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr (Jean-Marc Zucconi)
To:        davidg@root.com
Cc:        rsnow@legend.txdirect.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: swapspace ever increase?

 >> I've been looking at swapinfo and watching more and more get used as my
 >> system stays up and I run programs.  Will my free space ever increase?
 >>
 >> I can start with 22% usage and then run several programs (ie. netscape)
 >> and check it and I'm up to 73% usage.  The usage never goes down...

 >    Can you be more specific about how much space you're talking about? All of
 > the standard system daemons together require about 3MB of swap space. They
 > don't get paged out until they need to be, but once this happens, the space is
 > allocated for them until they are killed. If you're running X, then the
 > requirements are much higher (about 15MB of swap).

I have noticed this problem too, but in my case mfs is the culprit. My
/tmp is a mfs: I can fill the swap in creating a large file on /tmp and
then deleting it. There is something strange though: I swap on wd0 and
sd0 and /tmp uses sd0. If i creat/delete a large file on /tmp, this
also fills wd0:
$ swapinfo -k
Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
/dev/wd0b       20480    20068      348    98%    Interleaved
/dev/sd0b       58968    19712    39192    33%    Interleaved
Total           79320    39780    39540    50%

(after a 19Mb file creation/deletion)

 > -DG

 Jean-Marc Zucconi       Observatoire de Besancon       F 25010 Besancon cedex
                   PGP Key: finger jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr