Date:      Mon, 21 Mar 2005 08:05:25 -0500
From:      Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com>
To:        Duo <duo@digitalarcadia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MS Exchange server on FreeBSD?

On Mar 20, 2005, at 4:03 PM, Duo wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
>
>> Duo writes:
>>
>>> And yes, looking for non MS solutions, for the sake of it, is a valid
>>> choice.
>>
>> Not for many corporate managers.  They don't care whether it's
>> Microsoft
>> or not, as long as it's the best tool for the job.  People don't
>> usually
>> reach the upper levels of management in large corporations by
>> indulging
>> emotional attachments to one vendor or another.
>>

> To extrapolate your mickey mouse attempt at diversion, lets use how
> you would respond to this: YOU KNOW EVERY SINGLE CORPORATE MANAGER IN
> THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD?
>
> Who's talking emotion? Nobody mentioned feelings here but you. Bottom
> line is, other competitive software dosent get better, without a user
> base to use, offer feedback, etc.

He's working from the assumption that the only reason you wouldn't
choose this superior product (Exchange/Outlook) is because of the MS
logo on the box, which if true, is foolish.  I'd agree on that point;
if, after analyzing different products and licenses Exchange/Outlook
fit the bill of a solution for you and the only reason you didn't use
it was the company, it is technically foolish do discount it.

If, on the other hand, there are adequate alternatives available for
your situation that fit your needs, it would be foolish to go with
Exchange/Outlook.

>>> If for instance, I go with a product of MS, as opposed to a smaller
>>> OSS project, the OSS Project typically *cares* about the feedback I
>>> give it. It cares about the features I want and need.
>>
>> So does Microsoft.  That's how it stays on top.

Not really...why should they care if you're not a major company?
You're not supplying the coffers as much as, say, a school system is,
if you're just some home user.

> So, because cockroaches are more successful, are they above humans?

Actually, it depends on your criteria...in terms of successful
reproduction and survival of a species, I'd think the numbers speak for
themselves.  If you're talking about something like the ability to
drive a car or write a term paper, no.

>> I'd tend to prefer to put antivirus stuff on the client, not on the
>> server.  Some users may not want their e-mail scanned for viruses.
>> Power users, in particular, may not want any virus protections at all,
>> since they know not to click on attachments and antivirus software all
>> too often hashes the very system it's supposed to protect.
>>
>>> What's more, the virus scanners that do run against Exchange's DB,
>>> also cost money, and typically require some more hardware. And
>>> overhead. So now I am running exchange, and a bevy of other stuff to
>>> prop it up.
>>
>> You don't have to run virus scanners.
>>

> I prefer to take the choice out of the users hands. MDaemon virus
> scans mail as it comes in. Users never get a chance to possibly infect
> their system.

Most users prefer the choice be taken out of their hands.  To do
otherwise makes them think.  People don't like to think about what
isn't in their realm of interest.

>>> Not quite the "same" featureset as Exchange, but, I am supporting
>>> developers who *care* about what I want.
>>
>> Microsoft cares, too, and many changes and features in Exchange were
>> driven by customer demand.  Companies that don't care go out of
>> business.
>>

> This is such a foolish statement, I cant even find the words.

How about, "Tell that to my cell phone provider"?

> Nothing. And, you know what? I get more than I paid for. I use
> CensorNet, a free proxy web cache package. FREE, is it perfect? no,
> but its getting there. I use both mdaemon, and postfix. Are they
> perfect? No, but they are getting there.
>
> Point is, at least I am supporting their work, instead of a company
> that has shown itself to be a most reprehensible player in the
> standards field.

Actually some open-sourcers get paid in pride.  It's a sense of pride
that keeps them working on "their" project.  Sometimes it's
recognition.  Not everyone does something just because the manager will
lash them if they don't meet the deadline...in many cases, such
software from a corporate culture is a piece of crap because it is
designed by committee and politics are added in the mix to take what
could have been good and turned the product into technical crud.

-Bart