Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 10:55:06 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        Benjamin Krajmalnik <kraj@illumen.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: General questions w/Netscape installation

Hi,

> I installed the Nestcape Navigator 4.5b2 port - and apparently all
> went well since I obtained no errors during the installation.
> However, I cannot manage to run it (either by the icon on the
> AfterStep wharf or directly).

> The installation is on FreeBSD 3.0-Release.

This is a new install it seems.  3.0 is ELF.  All of the released versions
of Netscape are a.out.  This is almost certainly the problem.  One way to
check this is to try to start netscape from the prompt:

	peloton> netscape

If you're running ELF and don't have any of the a.out X libs still you'll
get an error like "can't find libXt.so.6.0" and you'll go look and it WILL
be in /usr/X11R6/lib but it needs the aout version.

There are a couple solutions to this problem.  First, you could grab an
a.out version of the libs - this may be possible by going to the
ftp.freebsd.org and downloading an a.out version of the X libs.  I'm not
sure that these will be easy to find though.  If you have upgraded to 3.0
from an earlier release you should have the aout libs still in
/usr/X11R6/lib/aout - you'll just need to do an ldconfig to get the
machine to find the aout libs.  See the mailing list archives for -current
(search under -current only and use the search string "Navigator" - search
is available at www.freebsd.org/search/) for the correct thing to do.

The slightly easier solution would be to run the Linux version of Netscape
(/usr/ports/www/linux-netscape4) - it's ELF and it'll just run
(hopefully).

Brett